During Your Surgery:
- You will be admitted to the hospital the same day of your surgery. Your surgeon will talk to you before the surgery in the “holding area”, identify you, and ask if you are ready for this surgery. The LAP-BAND surgery takes about 45 to 60 minutes, and the laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass takes about 1 to 1-1/2 hours. The duration of a revision largely depends on the extent of the procedure.
- The doctor will talk to your family immediately after surgery.
- Plan to stay in the hospital for 3 to 4 days, depending on the procedure. Some patients will need to stay 1 or 2 days in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) for better monitoring.
- The most common and serious complications associated with obesity surgery will usually occur in the first few days after surgery. Please be “patient”. It is important to follow all the instructions for respiratory therapy and ambulation. These instructions are for your own benefit. The doctor will want you out of bed and walking in less than 24 hours after surgery. Even if it hurts, the respiratory exercises are very important and are necessary to avoid pulmonary complications.
- Make certain someone will be able to pick you up from the hospital. You will not be able to drive for AT LEAST a week after surgery or until you have STOPPED taking pain medication.